Skip to content

Longwood Breaks and Vacation

Travel and University Breaks

During an academic year (August-May), the University will close for Fall Break, Winter Break and Spring Break.

You may register to stay on campus for Fall Break and/or Spring Break – to do so you must complete the information sent to you by the Housing office (more details can be found on The RCL Website ).

You are allowed to stay on campus during Winter Break (usually a 5 or 6 week period of time) for an additional charge.   However, the university is closed to students during this time and few campus services are available.   Some international students plan to travel home during the Winter Break while others use the time to travel around the US.  

Most students take a break from studying during the summer.  If you are not registering for summer classes, you must leave the campus.


If you plan to travel outside the U.S. at any time during your study you need a valid travel signature. A travel signature is provided by a SEVIS Designated School Official in the Center for Global Engagement. To receive a travel signature complete the Travel Request Form at the bottom of the Current Student Immigration and Program Requests and select your current term.  Travel signatures will not be given until you provide the information on the form.

Longwood offers limited, scheduled airport pick-up at the beginning and end of each semester. You must register in advance for this service with Mr. Scott Couchman

Shuttle dates for Fall Semester 2020 and Spring Semester 2021 are as follows: ‚Äč
  • Wednesday, May 6th and Friday, May 8th, 2020 from Longwood to Richmond International Airport
  • Monday, August 17 and Tuesday, August 18 (new students) and Saturday, August 22 (returning students) shuttle from Richmond International Airport to Longwood
  • Wednesday, December 9 and Saturday, December 12 from Longwood to Richmond International Airport
  • Saturday, January 9, Sunday, January 10, and Monday, January 11, 2021, return shuttle from Richmond International Airport to Longwood

SEVIS Enrollment and Departure Regulations
If you are on an F-1 student visa:
  • you may arrive up to 30 days before the start date on your I-20,
  • you must arrive by the end of the Longwood’s drop/add date (later by special permission but no later than 30 days after the start of the classes),
  • you have 60 days to depart the U.S. when you have completed your academic program,  if you have applied and been granted OPT then you have 60 days after the end of OPT,
  • you have 15 days to depart the U.S. if your visa is canceled for any reason,
  • you have 5 days to depart the U.S. if you entered the US on the F-1 visa but fail to show up at Longwood.

If you are on a J-1 student/scholar visa:
  • you may arrive up to 30 days before the start date on your DS2019,
  • you have 30 days to leave the country at the end of your program,
  • your form DS2019 will indicate whether you are subject to the 2-year residency requirement if you are you must return home to your own country for 2 years before returning to the US.   (Occasionally waivers to the requirement are provided.  Talk to OIA staff for details if you need information.),
  • you have 15 days to leave the country if your visa is terminated.

Airport Pick-up and Drop-off Dates

International Students are encouraged to take advantage of the free transportation to Longwood University to and from Richmond International Airport (RIC) that is provided at the beginning and end of each semester. If you wish to use this transportation, you must arrive/depart at Richmond International Airport on the scheduled arrival/departure date (see above).

Please confirm your arrival/departure plans in advance via email with the International Student Advisor, Mr. Scott Couchman.

Do you need a ride out of Farmville during break and are unable to take the shuttle? If so, try these transportation services...


Virginia Airlink provides transportation to or from Longwood, Richmond International Airport, or the bus and train stations. Book at least 12 hours in advance online or by phone. For last minute transportation, call to check for availability.
(804) 372-7433

Below are some suggestions of places to look for flights, trains, and buses to get you to your destination. - research and purchase flights and make hotel reservations
Amtrak - passenger rail service
Greyhound - passenger bus service