Skip to content

Internship and Work Opportunities

Working in the U.S.

You may work in the U.S. only under certain conditions.  Please read below for more information.

Non-immigrant students (F or J visa holders) may NOT work OFF-CAMPUS unless employment is part of registered OPT or CPT, or approved in U.S. government "emergency economic hardship" categories.

On-campus Employment
  • Degree-seeking J or F visa students may work on-campus for up to 20 hours/week.
  • Employment may begin as early as the first semester.
  • Jobs must be applied for through Campus Jobs.
  • To obtain the required Social Security card, bring the offer of employment to Mr. Scott Couchman in the Center for Global Engagement (Stevens 111).
  • Schedule an appointment to discuss on-campus employment with Mr. Scott Couchman

  • All internships must be recorded by a DSO in the Center of Global Engagement.  Some internships must be recorded by a DSO in your SEVIS record.
  • Internships which will take place off-campus, paid or unpaid, must be approved by a DSO and recorded in your SEVIS record.  These are considered Curricular Practical Training (CPT) experiences and there are rules and timelines connected to it – a DSO will provide more information when you make an appointment.

Employment after the degree
  • You may be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows paid employment for up to one year at the end of your program of study.   You must apply for the option within 90 days of the end of your program of study – make sure you contact a DSO and complete a request form before your last semester.
  • Remember that intentionally violating your non-immigrant student status is grounds for the immediate cancellation of your student visa.